Monday 7 June 2010

Amazing photography exhibitions


Recently I have indulged in my love of photography and treated myself to two exhibitions.

The first was at Proud galleries in Chelsea and it was a small exhibition of work by Paul Joyce. The photos were examples of his work from the 1960's till present and the majority of the images were rock photography. Key subjects included the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan. I was fascinated by the youth in the images of well known artists that I have come to recognise from their older age, Bob Dylan was actually really attractive back in his day!

I think the beauty of rock photography is that when its done well it can really capture the essence of what music means to the artist and conveys the power of music in relation to particular moments in time.

The second exhibition was the Irving Penn feature at the National Portrait Gallery and his photography can only be described as phenomonal!

The way he was able to evoke emotions from very famous and sometimes private figures was fascinating. There were no stage sets for the photos and when he did use props he used them as a way to bring out personalities in the subjects. The beauty of the photos were that they were simple and stripped back the bare roots of the subjects. The photo of Edith Path perfectly conveyed her despearation whilst the photo of Grace Kelly perfectly demonstrated her beauty.

The other significant portraits for me were of Truman Capote, Max Ernst, Pablo Picasso, Christian Dior, T.S. Eliot, Alfred Hitchcock, Al Pacino, Nicole Kidman- the list goes on.

The one portrait I found most amusing was the one that featured the family that were the inspiration for the Adams Family TV show- the real life family were just as spooky as the show, im not kidding.

I have attached my favourite image from the exhibition- enjoy the beauty

X

No comments:

Post a Comment