Sunday 12 September 2010

Amazing London Exhibitions


So I guess you can gather that Im a bit of a fan of exhibitions and given one of the reasons I came to London was to soak up the culture I dont like a weekend to go by without visiting an exhibition/gallery.

I have recently been to 3 very different exhibitons, all which have delighted and entertained me.

First up was the Deep Sea Exhibition at the Natural History museum. I have been wanting to go to this exhibit ever since it opened in late May. I know that some people find my fascination with the deep sea odd but the unknown and the strange creatures that survive at the depths of the ocean absolutely fascinate me!

I was lucky to meet someone at a friend's birthday who also shared this love so we went together one Sunday in late July.

The exhibition was damn cool. There was variations of fish, coral and flowers (believe it or not) on display that survive 1100 metres below earth. Some of the fish were just freaky looking with various tenticles, scales and ugly faces but the flowers were quite beautiful. A lot of the exhibits were copies however a few were real animals which made it a little scary!

The main feature of the exhibit was a full replica of the bones of a sperm whale. To be able to see its actual size in the sea really makes you think about the magnitude of the ocean and makes me love these gentle giants a little more! Other exhibits to note was the life size exhibit of a freaky giant spider crab and replica's of some of the oldest known 'fish' in the world.

Seeing this exhibition made me stop and think how vast the world is and how amazing the natural circle of life is.

The next exhibition I visited was centred on the fashion label Maison Martin Margelia and it was held at Somerset house. I really love this building/venue, it has a very old London feel and the permanent exhibition centre holds some fantastic artwork from Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, van Gogh and Picasso.

The Margelia exhibition was called '20' which stood for the last 20 years of their collections.

I knew nothing of the designer prior to attending the exhibit and I can say I left very informed and enlightened about inspiration behind fashion that I just don't understand.

It was amazing to have an explanation of what this designer tries to convey through their 'art' and to see how their vision has shaped the subsequent designs we see on the catwalk today, this seasons cape is a perfect example!

The way he used fashion to question and critic how we clothe ourselves and what we convey with clothing is fascinating. We were in the exhibit over 2 hours and that wasn't enough time to really capture the essence of this ground breaking brand.

The last and definitely not the least was the Picasso Mediterranean years exhibition at the Gagosian Gallery. Most of the work I have seen by this legendary artist I would describe as intense, moving and at times disturbing.

However this exhibition was full of light, colour and love. The pieces featured were from 1945- 1962 which was the time in his life that he spent with his children in the south of France.

The pieces were a reflection of the lifestyle of the Mediterranean area and were centred on bulls, beautiful women and a key focus on his children.

On display was a combination of paintings, drawings, sculpture and ceramics. The colours used were primarily bright and there was a lot of pastels- it was a delight.

I love Picasso for the depth in his work, for his inspirations and the way he viewed life. This exhibition merely wet my appetite and I want to see more of this genuis' work.

I'm sure there will be further updates on my exhibition travels but I hope you have enjoyed the above description

x

No comments:

Post a Comment