Thursday 9 September 2010

Soho Burlesque delights


I have been fascinated with the idea of Burlesque ever since Dita Von Teese came into the lime light. The way she oozes class whilst being practically naked in a champagne glass is phenomenal.

I had heard about a club called Madame Jo Jo's from a friend (or workmate- I can’t remember!) and they had recommended it not only as a fun night out in London for drinks but also a good venue for Burlesque entertainment.

I had met my friend (who came to Bath with me) for a drink one Sunday evening in Soho- really if you are going to be drinking on a Sunday night Soho is the place to go. The streets are packed with lively campness and pop music which is sure to ease anyone’s sundayitis.

Anyway after our drink we decided to go for a little walk and it was then that we stumbled across the actual venue for Madame Jo Jo's. We were checking out the leaflets at the door when a mad lady rushed in screaming 'when is the next Kitten Club?' We were intrigued asked what this is was, her reply 'oh the best Burlesque show ever’- we were sold.

A few weeks later we returned to the venue with our tickets (bought cheap on lastminute.com) and high expectations. We settled in our seats with a bottle of Vino and I can honestly say that it was the most fun I have had in a long time.

The show wasn't so focused on nudity, in fact you didn’t really see that much nudity, but really it was just pure entertainment.

They had a hilarious MC/magician who was goofy and completely likeable who came on stage between the acts. There were 3 girls who took it in turn to sing, recite poetry (whilst pestering audience members to help), dance with fire (yes that was scary) and of course perform an obligatory seductive strip tease.

Despite preparing to see gorgeous girls nude for 2 hours I actually left with my stomach hurting from laughing so much and a smile from ear to ear.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable and fun evening- everyone should see the Kitten club!

X

1 comment:

  1. Wow - I haven't looked at your blog for a few weeks and I'm amazed at how much you've been up to since then! Better lock in the Hampstead Heath picnic ASAP while the weather is still lovely (and make sure you swim in the ponds there too, it's amazing!) xx

    ReplyDelete